[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] Rainbow Bridge: Tom

DL1Bossfan at aol.com DL1Bossfan at aol.com
Mon May 7 18:53:46 EDT 2007

It is with tears and a heavy heart that I announce that my dear Tom passed
away last night. Tom became ill several weeks back.  First symptoms were  loss
of appetite and a decline in his level of activity.  During his first  vet
visit (one of four trips during this illness), he had a full check up  (including
his teeth).  Because of the symptoms, he was treated for gut  stasis, and was
put on an antibiotic as well as a motility drug.  He was  also given sub q
fluids several times.  He got regular feedings by syringe  of critical care and
baby carrots.  A week ago Friday, his weight seemed to  have plummeted (and
almost overnight).  I rushed him to the vet (dreading  the worst).  His Dr. was
out of town, and so Tom saw the partner.  She  stated that she thought his
teeth to be too long, but was unsure because she  mainly treats dogs and cats -
and wasn't used to piggies, so had me return home  to get Big Jim and Thatcher
so she could compare.  She ended up trimming  Tom's front teeth (but not too
much).  She returned to the lobby to tell me  that while she was trimming them
she felt something hard in the back.  The  molars had overgrown preventing
proper swallowing.  She then put him under  gas to examine those more closely
-and was able to trim them down  somewhat.  But, with all of that said, she still
thought that there was  very possibly another underlying problem.  Well he
pulled through that  ordeal and had even gained seven ounces.  Throughout this
entire  ordeal he never whimpered or cried, and seemed to enjoy the one on one
attention  he was getting.  I kissed him and put him down in his pigloo last
night, and that is where he was this morning.  He had peacefully passed in
his sleep.  Huck and Tom were part of that Maryland rescue three plus years
ago. I want to thank everyone of you that were any part of that rescue operation
as well as everyone that has helped me learn (with tips and advise) about
their  care.  Without this GPDD family - I would have never had these sweet
little  guys in my life.  May God bless you my sweet little Tom. Rest in  peace.
St. Francis and Peter will look after you. You will  remain forever in my heart.
Love Donna - Huck, Thatcher, Big Jim, Becky, and Aunt  Polly