[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Ovarian cysts/balding flanks

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Wed May 9 05:54:33 EDT 2007

Carly

As you may know, I have no expert vet care here in rural France, but have
received a visit from the rodentologists at Cavies Castle just over a year ago,
who did health checks on all my piggies - I had more then. They found ovarian
 cysts on several, but said it was not serious and not to worry about it
unless  they grew, which (touch wood) none of them have done.

I have two girls, both just over 4 years old, who have bald flanks. The
rodentologists said this could have been due to hormonal imbalance (they had
already been routinely treated for parasites). Both girls are maintaining their
weight, behaving normally and eating and drinking well. Surgery would not be an
 option for me. But so far they are showing no sign of illness.

If I were you, I would of course get the vet to confirm that there is no
serious cause of the balding - no parasites or tumours. He/she should be able to
feel an ovarian cyst by gently palpating the tummy. But if the piggie seems
well  enough in herself and shows no sign of pain or illness, if I were in your
 situation I would not opt for surgery at this stage.

Good luck, and keep us informed

Debbie