[Gpdd] HEALTH Dandelion leaves

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed May 9 13:36:59 EDT 2007

Suzy,

I have always given the Piggyfriend dandelion leaves, which they love, mixed with grass and other weeds that I forage for them. I have a special dandelion patch for them in my vegetable garden.

Dandelions are diuretic and can sometimes be useful with a health problem. You can eat them too, in a salad! They are a good source of Vitamin C, essential for our little piggies.

They are not toxic but fed to excess will give too high a calcium/phosphorus ratio in their diet. Too much calcium can lead to bladderstones. You are aiming at a calcium/phosphorus ratio of 1.5:1 and 2:1( calcium to phosphorus). This is not as complicated as it sounds. Have a look at GuineaLynx http://www.guinealynx.info/charts.html  and follow the link to a ratio chart.

My piggies have never had a problem with bladderstones but you will want to avoid this nasty condition, especially as you have boars.

If you feed your little guys a good mixture of veggies, grass and tasty weeds, as well as their pellets and loads of good hay, you won't go far wrong.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.