[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge - Widget

Kirsten McKnight kirsten.mcknight at gmail.com
Thu May 10 12:42:56 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I don't post often to the list - I mostly "lurk" and love to share both the
joys and sadness of all of us GP fanatics. I hope you don't mind me sharing
my loss with you all.

I actually have two stories to tell, but the first one makes my heart the
heaviest. We started out in 2003 with two guinea pigs, Winkle and Widget who
subsquently had three beautiful little babies. Licorice, Smoke and Squeeks.
Yesterday, Widget, the mama, who has always been more agile then the rest of
the herd - we used to laugh because she ran what we refered to as the guinea
500 all around her cage and would hop over and under obstacles - managed to
somehow climb up on her wooden log hutch which she often does, and then on
to the hay rack - and somehow wandered over to the other side (our guinepigs
cages are the creative cubes type and are side by side) on Smoke's hayrack
and we think she fell into his cage. She seemed fine when my husband rescued
her - at the time we were more worried that she might be having children by
her son - but this morning when peter went upstairs to check on them as he
always does she was lying in hutch and had died. My heart is just broken - I
loved her so much. I had borrowed one of the other listmembers pet names and
always referred to her as my "therapy piggie" as she was great to snuggle
with when I was sad or just needed some love! I feel so awful.

the second story is a little happier but nevertheless I am angry at the
selfishness of some people. On Sunday, peter and I had gone to a local
petstore which we try not to frequent because the two of us are a bad
combination in a pet store - more then once we've come home with new pets
when all we went for was food or bedding or whatever. We had gone in because
we needed bunny food and my attention was caught by a corral on the floor
with a sign that said "Laverne and Shirley" free to a good home. I asked the
clerk what their story was and apparently they had been dumped out back in a
box of the store the night before. They were luck they were found because
the store doesn't have a shipping/receiving area out back and the only time
the back door gets used is on garbage day which Sunday wasn't. Fortunately,
for some reason, one of the clerks went out the door and found them and
brought them in. One is a long - haired part albino and the other is a black
and chocolate bed-head type (Abyssinian I think). I asked if anyone had
expressed interested in the two, and the answer was no. So the long and
short is we brought the two home and they are currently in their own little
hutch together segregated from the rest of the critter crew. they told us
their names weren't really Laverne and Shirley but Tribble and L'il Miz
Moppit (can you guess which is which?) and while very skittish, Tribble in
particular (and yes that is a Star Trek reference - don't know how she got
addicted to Star Trek) they seem to be settling in. L'il Miz Moppit is
warming up faster despite the fact she was apparently in pretty rough
condition when they found her (needed a bath, hadn't had toenails clipped
etc).

At any rate, sorry this is so long, but thanks for listening to a lurker who
absolutely adores her critter crew and is currently devastated by the loss
of Widget.

Kirsten and Winkle, Licorice, Smoke, Squeeks, Tribble and L'il Miz Moppit
and the two bunnies Bunka and Jessica (both rescues), Snipset the dwarf
hamster, Socrates and Sophocles aka the Brothers Grin (Lilac dumbo rex rats)
and Sylvester the cat.

 *Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop. -
Anonymous*
 *There is love of course. And then there's life, its enemy. - Jean Anouilh*
 *'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. -
Alfred Lord Tennyson*
 *Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of
separation. - Kahlil Gibran*