[Gpdd] HEALTH grass and website

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon May 14 04:28:50 EDT 2007

Hi Suzy,

If you look at the average lawn, it is a mixture of many different kinds of grass, all loved by piggies.

Many piggies look very suspiciously upon something that they should not be eating but there are exceptions to the rule. Babes learn what is good to eat from their mothers and often grow up refusing to eat things that she does not like. I have had adult piggies arrive here at Piggyfriends who did not even know that grass is good because they have never had the chance to eat it but they learn by copying the other piggies and soon realise what they have been missing.

That said, NEVER put anything harmful/toxic anywhere near your piggy as they are naturally inquisitive so if you are unsure whether a plant is safe or not, leave it alone.

Galens' Garden is very well known among piggy lovers in England. My Rodentologists have some of their products on their shelves.

As I am a gardener, I have no problem identifying plants that are good for my guineas and grow many of them in my own garden especially for them but I have just looked at Galen's herb pages and the descriptions of useful herbs look very good.

Common English weeds enjoyed by my herd include clover, groundsel, chickweed, plantain, dandelion, sow thistle, shepherd's purse to name but a few.

If you are not botanically minded, please be absolutely sure about the identification of any plant before you use it.

Please, do not ever feel silly about asking a question. That is how we all learn what is good for our piggies.

The Piggyfriends send their love to Rocky and Cocoa.

Penny.