[Gpdd] (Behavior) Re: Gunner

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 14:30:53 EDT 2007

Kelly,
  I had this problem many moons ago with my dear Gizmo (who has since gone to the Bridge) and more recently with Scooter. It seems that when they reach a certain age, little piggies start to test the waters with how they behave--it's like the "terrible two's" in human children. They get nippy and selfish with their food, like you are trying to take it away from them or something. What worked for me was, every time they tried to nip, I would say "Ow!" and then gently tug on the scruff of their neck and say "No." (don't yell at them because it just frightens them and they don't understand why you are yelling). Mama piggies "discipline" their babies by tugging on their scruff  to let them know that what they are doing is unacceptable. Now when any of my piggies start to nibble, they will stop as soon as I say "Ow!"--I say it kind of high pitched so it sounds like a piggy squeal, that way they know they are biting too hard. I have never had one draw blood; they usually just
 stop and look at me like "What? Did that hurt?".
  I have also learned that insistent nibbling or tugging at my clothes means "Put me down, I have to go potty NOW!"

  Hope this helps,
  Stacy and the Squee Squad