[Gpdd] HEALTH - Piggie with cystitis

New Dominant II me at buddies.org
Tue May 15 15:00:13 EDT 2007

I just started read the GPDD after two years of not reading any piggie
related lists (I took a piggie death pretty hard and got very depressed).
I've since gotten better and have several new friends (as well as some old
ones still hanging around) which I'll talk about some other time.

Do you know if your little one isn't diabetic?  A UTI was what triggered my
vet to check my little one's blood sugar.  She continued to have UTIs
throughout the rest of her life (4.5 years, she was diagnosed at a year and
passed away at 5.5 years), but they were manageable as long as we kept her
blood sugar in control.  Sulfatrim was the main antibiotic we used, and it
was quite effective on its own.  A few times we switched between that and
Baytril (a week on each).  Once we tried an injectible.  I don't recall the
name, but it didn't work very well.  We went back to Sulfatrim and it took
care of it.