[Gpdd] MISC: Keeping a piggie cool in a car

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Thu May 24 16:11:53 EDT 2007

Dear Shauna

Hopes this reaches you in time for your journey.  Vedra of the Cambridge
Cavy Trust said this to help keep piggies cool in the hot weather, it's from
one of her newsletters:-

"...Get prepared for another very hot spell during 2007 and onward.  Perhaps
consider investing in an air conditioning unit for at least one room in your
house.  I have a HomeBase air conditioning unit in the room that I use for
my office/guinea pig ward.  Even during the hotest days, I could maintain
the temperature at 16 degrees centigrade.  This unit can be used as a heater
during winter if the temperature drops below the scope of my normal central
heating capacity.

"If you don't have air conditioning, it will help the guineas to keep cool
if you three-quarter fill plastic lemonade bottles with water and put them
in the freezer overnight.  Place one of these in each cage before you go off
to work and if the guineas are feeling too hot, they can stretch out over
them and cool down.

"Please make sure you have an adequate supply of diuretic tablets in stock
before next summer.  Many of the guineas who died throughout the UK during
the hot spell could have been saved if their owners had given them just one
diretic tablet."

I guess you could have a bottle with ice in with your Quetin in his travel
box, and put a blanket over it so he dosen't get too cold.

For everyone else, I will email the Digest again in the next few days with
what else Vedra has to say about diuretics in the summer.

Carole