[Gpdd] HEALTH Urinary Infection.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri May 25 05:44:59 EDT 2007

Hello Anne,

Poor Maisie. I hope that she soon recovers from the UTI as this is a miserable experience for piggies.

When one of the Piggyfriends has to have antibiotics, I always follow it up with a course of Probiotics. I like to use Protexin, which comes in a convenient little strip of five sachets, one a day for five days. This is a powder, easily mixed with a little water and syringed in.

A veterinary book of mine recommends giving a probiotic at the same time as the antibiotic but it seems to me that the latter will just cancel it out. My vet agrees with this but we might consider it if a very long course of antibiotics was in order.

At Cavies Castle ( my rodentologists ) they use Brewer's Yeast as their probiotic, crushing a tablet in a little water. I have had to use this for impacted boars and none of them liked the taste so I prefer the Protexin as it is easier to administer.

Best of luck to Maisie at the vets and afterwards.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.