[Gpdd] ANNOUNCE New Piggyfriends.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon May 28 12:15:05 EDT 2007

I only called in at Cavies Castle to buy some piggy shampoo as I was working in the area. There, in a cage on the sofa were two baby piggies needing a new home. I have been considering whether or not I should be taking in more piggies as I am getting older and sometimes worry about who would look after them if I were ill. I had decided only to take new piggies if they arrived on the doorstep or if I was asked to rescue some.

So I thought long and hard about whether I should offer these two tiny sows a home and a few seconds later found myself saying "put a reserve label on them". Note the willpower here.

They had arrived via a breeder of Argentes ( pale grey piggies ) who had asked Chris if she could rehome them. The first one had only one ear flap, having lost the other to an over enthusiastic mother's cleaning, and was no good for showing and therefore unwanted. This breeder had been asked by her friend that if she was going to take her piggy to Chris, could she take one of hers, which was being bullied by her littermates and had lost most of each ear flap.

So there were these two tiny babes, with only one complete ear flap between them, hiding in the hay. How could I resist?  Stefanie will know how I felt!! Chris would not have any trouble finding a good home for them but I was there first!

Chris and Titch wanted to keep them for a few days to observe and health check them, especially as they might develop an ear infection after all that mutilation.

They both seem to be fine and today I went and fetched them home.

They are so tiny that I have kept them together in a smaller cage, which makes it easier for me to keep an eye on those little ears but when I am certain that their ears are OK, they will move on into one of the Piggyfriend groups. I usually put babes in with an established group to learn about how to be a piggy.

Piggyfriends past have had Celtic names, then trees, flowers, jewels or something topical like Halley, when the comet was visible, Mir, after the spaceship and sometimes even arrived with their own names. These two have flower names again. I asked Chris if she had named them but she said that if she had, she would probably have been unable to part with them!

The little grey one, who has ruby eyes, I have called Lilac and her friend, a brindle Abby, is named Lavender. They are munching away in their cage on my sofa. Lilac is already a cuddle pig but I am not sure about Lavender, who was not picked up at her original home and has a lot to learn.

Please welcome them into the wonderful world of the GPDD.

Penny and the Piggyfriends, yet to meet their new friends when they get home.