[Gpdd] HEALTH Diuretics. warning.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue May 29 19:20:49 EDT 2007

Couldn't post earlier. Power outage due to dreadful weather. Don't give diuretics unless you know what you are doing! These tablets are for removing excess fluid from the lungs.

Diuretics are for your guinea pig first aid kit. I always keep a few frusemide tablets in my box to use in an emergency. Half a tablet crushed, mixed with water and syringed orally can save a little life. By the time that the vet has been telephoned, only to find he does not have an appointment free or his office is closed, it could be too late. Of course, in an ideal world, we would be able to rush our piggy to the vet for a Lasix injection but for those of us "out in the sticks" or without a competent vet half a human diuretic tablet could save the day.

Look at http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/heartproblems.htm and also in Peter's A-Z under H for heart attack.

There are lots of foods that piggies love that have diuretic qualities. More on that subject at a later date.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.