[Gpdd] [gpdd] [HEALTH] Diuretics

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Wed May 30 13:12:45 EDT 2007

Dear all

I made a post on GPDD a few days back.  I copied it from an article by Vedra
at the Cambridge Cavy Trust that she had written all about diuretics.  I did
so because I had a bad experience at my local vets who knew nothing about
diuretics.

My Artie began to breathe in a more laboured way and was also making small
noises as he breathed.  I took him straight to our vets who gave him
antibiotics and nothing more.  Even after just an hour he was still
struggling and I felt deep inside that what had been done at the vets wasn't
enough.  I called Vedra and she asked if a diuretic had been administered.
It had not, just the antibiotics.  She said that if Artie had fluid on his
lungs, by the time the antibiotic could be of help, Artie would already have
passed away.

I called the vets bcak and asked them if them if Artie had fluid on his
lungs and was told yes.  I asked if they would give Artie the diuretic but
was told they don't do that, the next step would be steroids.  No matter how
I asked and explained, they refused the diuretic treatment.

I do not drive and had call around and get a friend to drive me the plus one
hour drive to Cambrdige to get Artie to Vedra for the correct help he
needed.  If it hadn't been for Vedra and the diuretic, Artie would have
died.  My vets would have been responsible.

>From what I now know, this isn't untypical of vets.  Most have no knowledge
of diuretics and their use in guinea pigs.  I felt providing the article
Vedra had written may be of use to others on the Digest.  For those who may
have missed it the first time I posted it, here is the article (below).

This medication saved Artie's life and my vets did not know that it would.
To have the info below may help others who find themselves in the position I
was in.

All best wishes

Carole
________________

Dear all

As promised, here is what Vedra at the Cambridge Cavy Trust has to say about
how essential diuretics are for having in our guinea pigs first aid box.
It's in relation to 1. piggies who suffer heat exhaustion in summer, and 2.
piggies who have a respiratory infection.  This is copied from her CCT
Newsletter from the winter of 2006:-

"Frusemide, Dimazon (diuretics) often just a one-off dose will clear fluid
from the lungs, either in tablet form dose 20mg for an adult guinea pig, or
if by injection, 0.2ml sub cut at shoulder.  Some elderly people have
diuretic tablets -- ask around for the sake of your pets.  Most human
diuretic tablets are 40mg, so you should only need to use half a tablet.
But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make this a must for your first aid kit.  This
type of diuretic works faster than the herbal variety that you can purchase
from your chemist.

"Also remember that the same applies in the winter if your guinea pig is
suffering from respiratory infection.  Unlike cats and dogs where the
obstruction in the lungs tends to be mucus, most respiratory disease in
rodents involves fluid in the lungs.  Most vets fail to recognise this and
just issue antibiotics, with or without an anti-inflamoatory.  Sadly, unless
they start the treatment off by giving at least a one-off dose of diuretic,
the animal seldom lives long enough for the antibiotics to work.  KEEP this
article.  If you have any problems getting your vet to issue the correct
drugs, show this to him/her, or ask the vet to ring me if they have any
query about the treatment: 07721 026 401.

"Your vet will always try to do their best for your pet, it is not your vets
fault the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons has failed to provide them
with any training on this species.

"The CCT and the British Association of Rodentologists have joined forces
and trained people at various locations within the UK to act as health
advisors to your rodent pets.  If you have a sick rodent, ring or text your
nearest rodentologist BEFORE YOU TAKE YOUR RODENT TO THE VETS.  We can
provide you with potentially life-saving information, even if you live too
far away to bring the animal into our hosptial.

"Another winter first aid kit essential is Vick Vapour Rub.  The CCT
helpline number is 07721 026 401.  If you ring and get no reply, text me and
I will contact you as soon as I can.  You can text me anytime of the day or
night."

Hope this may be of help to you all, as I know not all of you will receive
Vedra's newsletter.

Carole