[Gpdd] Health: Diagnosing bladder stones

vachins at comcast.net vachins at comcast.net
Wed May 30 19:38:20 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've been lurking on the list for quite some time but now have a health question.  I have a 3 -4 year old male pig, Keats, diagnosed with blood in the urine.  We took him to the vet because he was making some odd sounds we thought might indicate pain and were concerned about possible bladder stones.  Xrays were negative for stones but my vet says some stones don't show up on xrays.  He's being treated with a 2nd course of antibiotics for a bladder infection.  If the antibiotics don't work, the next options would be a sonogram or surgery.  Any advice on diagnosis and treatment?  Do stones always show up on sonograms?  I've read the websites on Calcium to Phosphorus ratios, diet, etc., but have not seen a lot on symptoms, diagnosis, and whether there are any other possibilities  Appreciate hearing from anyone with experience.

Jeanine