[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENTS: Double departure to the bridge

family.duffy at virgin.net family.duffy at virgin.net
Sun Nov 4 05:31:59 EST 2007

The sad news is that two of The Surrey Squeakers have departed to the Bridge this week. One was expected, but one was totally unexpected.Budweiser, one of my two neutered males and the supreme leader of my original herd, finally faded away yesterday. He would easily have qualified to be a LAPS piggy in his day. He was ancient, but I am still heartbroken. He was SO handsome and such a character. I got him from my second ever visit to a rescue, nearly 5 years ago. I went for ONE female piggy, preferably with dark eyes and preferably not ginger, because I had quite a few gingery ones at that time and I like them all to look different. What did I find? Three guineas living together, having been passed over for months, all with an equally feeble reason not to come home with me. One was a neutered male, one was ginger, and one had pink eyes! Of course, I took all three. I still have Frascati, the pink-eyed white.The shock departure was Schnapps, a satin I only inherited this year. She had showed no signs of OD, and had been in excellent health until the other day. The only way I can describe it is that she suddenly looked ILL. Her eyes were dull and only half open, and she died the following day.I have no idea how old Schnapps was. Does anyone know how to tell? I always thought the thickness of the claws was the sign. This was true in Budweiser's case. His claws were like mini-chopsticks. However, it is not true for others. Frascati must be about the same age as Budweiser was (6+), but her claws are still fine and delicate.Stefanie and the sad Surrey Squeakers, half of whom have lost their leader.