[Gpdd] [CARE] Appeal to all slaves whose piggies reach 5 years & over

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 11:41:27 EST 2007

Hi Deb.  Good questions but before I answer for Lady Bug who is 5 1/2 years, in my opinion, a lot depends on the individual genetics involved.  It's the same with humans-why do some live a very long time and others die young?  In some cases it could be the very bad treatment they received as babies.

  Lady Bug who I had since she was 2 months old has always lived indoors and seldom gets to go outside even to eat grass or lettuce.  I just bring it to her.

  The treatments she has had are eye surgery when she was about 5 months old, Advantage twice for suspected fleas-2 treatments each time.  (The second treatment was to kill any eggs that were hatching.)  She's had Ivermectin treatments two different times, the first was 6 treatments 7 days apart as well as the second treatment and they were done because I suspected mites.  She has never lost hair.  If I observe what I consider 1 scratch session too many she immediately goes on Ivo.  She's never had any other skin issues.

  Her diet is composed of two kinds of timothy hay and timothy pellets both from KMs Hayloft.  The pellet analysis is on KM's site.  She gets a small piece of orange or red pepper every day along with green & red lettuce.  Only very occasionally does she get anything in the cabbage family as this family can (and usually does) cause gas.  She gets 2-3 pieces of spinach only very rarely (although she adores it) because of the high Oxalic content.  So far her kidneys and bladder are in excellent condition.

  Lady Bug's weight is the same now as when she reached maturity and she will never be anywhere near a Laps Piggy.  Except for one very enlarged adrenal gland which does not seem to bother her, the only other problem she has is periodic gas issues where she goes into a decline.  I'm actually in the process of investigating heart issues with her due to her age and the fact that gas often seems to accompany heart issues.  Many piggies can have undiagnosed heart issues as the average vet is, sadly, unacquainted with hearts in GP's.

  Hope this helps.  From your previous postings it sounds as though you take excellent care of your little ones.  I still suspect that their genetic makeup has played a large part in the length of their lives.

  Joan, slave to The Lady Bug