[Gpdd] [MISC]<Knoevel event>

Janneke Staaks jannekestaaks at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 05:51:22 EST 2007

Hi all,

My sister already posted about the knoevel event. But i would just like to add a bit more info. (we are all biased towards our own guinea pigs ;-) )

We went there in the first place to get Yaya checked out by a vet who has a lot of experience with satin pigs. I dont remember if some of you remember but a year ago i went there for the first time, and at that point I was not sure that yaya would have this disease. For those of you who dont know, OD is very common among satin pigs, and it causes the bones to deteriorate and it is very painfull. You can find more about it here: http://oginet.com/Cavies/satin.htm (the woman who wrote this, is actually the same one who organised this event). Last year, i was crushed when i found out that her jaw was already affected. That is when i realised that my sweet yaya would have a painfull life. There are many stories about 'healthy satin breedingstrains'. Yaya's breeder also told me this, because yaya's grandparents etc. were bred by breeders with a very good reputation. I did hope that was true. (btw, yaya's breeder reacted very well to my news and stopped breeding with the few pigs she had, and informed the owners of yaya's family members). This goes to show that not only badly bred satins can get OD. All of them can.

This year, the news was better. The vet told me that yaya looked really well. Nice and fat (last year she was too skinny and once she gets teeth problems it is important that she has some reserves), well developed muscles etc. I told her that when i pick yaya up, she tends to sit on her bottom on my hand  (she used to stand, but if i try that now, she immediately sits down). She agreed that is a sign that doing that is painfull. But in general, she is in excellent health (besides the OD) and happy, so we are not going to put her on pain medication just yet. I bought her a really large cage, to help her. I used to have two 1 meter (almost 40 inches) cages, connected to eachother so that they could hop over. Now she doesn not have to do that any more, but she still has the same amount of space (1,40m or 55 inches) to do her daily laps and stay fit (she also gets floor time btw). This is yaya getting her checkup http://picasaweb.google.com/GuinyGirl/KnoevelFestijn07/photo#5128721299733535362

Both Suus and Igor entered the cuddlynessratingcompetition (they were rated by professional judges). Suus (http://picasaweb.google.com/GuinyGirl/KnoevelFestijn07/photo#5128722205971634994 ) got compliments. She was in excellent condition, really nice shiny fur, clear ears etc. (he didnt even say that she was too heavy, even though she is LAPSqualified) And he loved her little orange paws. Unfortunately my girl only likes cuddling with me (heehee) and not with the scary judge..
When I put Igor on the table the judge burst out that pigs like this one were the reason he became a judge. He found Igor very beautiful and i got a compliment about his 'marvellous cuddlecurls'. Apparently they are softer than is typical for tessels. Igor also got top marks for overall condition. But i havent had igor for that long so we have to work on his cuddlyness a bit more :-). He did get higher marks than suus for cuddlyness though, which is funny because with me, she likes cuddling far more than Igor does.

Igor also entered a racingcontest, where he happily munched down a carrot http://picasaweb.google.com/GuinyGirl/KnoevelFestijn07/photo#5128723958318292098
Ow, and i just have to show you guys this pig. She is just too cute. Her name is also Suus. She is 5,5 years old and she also won a price in the cuddle contest. i think she came in second http://picasaweb.google.com/GuinyGirl/KnoevelFestijn07/photo#5128721093575105106

Grtz
Janneke and the exhausted winky team...