[Gpdd] HEALTH:5+ year old piggies

family.duffy at virgin.net family.duffy at virgin.net
Wed Nov 7 14:19:55 EST 2007

Thank you, Lynn, for your kind wishes after my loss of Budweiser and Schnapps. I'm not sure if a new leader will emerge in Budweiser's herd. All the ones left are girls, and nobody could rule like Budweiser, who did it by charisma and body language alone, because he didn't move much! I do not want another male, because I have one in my other pen and when they all go in the shed together, having two males makes life difficult.Debbie - I think a club for older piggies is a wonderful idea! I would have lots of members of the 5+ club. Of all the guineas I have ever had (and that's quite a lot), I have only ever had one put to sleep by a vet. (She had a tumour). One had a heart attack, one had a stroke, and two just looked ill for a very short time. ALL the others have just wasted away (at various ages from 4+), gradually losing weight and usually drinking a lot (but not in Budweiser's case), but continuing their normal life with energy and enthusiasm until one day, when they are really tiny, they just conk out in the middle of what they are doing. That's the way to go - no pain, no suffering, no trip to the vet in unfamiliar surroundings. My guineas live outside. They eat a dried food mix and have a huge heap of freshly cut grass delivered every day. They also get a wide selection of fresh vegetables. The people at the checkouts of supermarkets must think we eat so healthily. Little do they know that the healthy stuff is entirely for the guineas, and the rubbishy processed food is for us! I buy so many vegetables that I get some funny comments. The other day in the supermarket the lady at the checkout asked me if I was having a party. I don't know what sort of party hostess gives their guests a heap of vegetables, but I suppose it was her way of saying that what I was buying was not normal!!My guineas only ever go to the vet for eye drops for poke injuries. I can now cure all skin complaints myself, thanks to Peter Gurney's book, and they have never had teeth problems or stones or anything else. Stefanie and the Surrey Squeakers, several of whom are looking forward to joining a club for mature guinea pigs, where they can play bowls or dominoes without interruption from young whipper-snappers!