[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE Ratso

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Nov 11 19:59:05 EST 2007

Vanessa,

I was so sad to read that Ratso has left you so soon after your post about his declining health but what a great age he achieved, a credit to your love and care.

I hope that Dude will not be affected by his departure but, in my experience, a bereaved boar often seems to suffer a loss far more than a sow. I have seen this happen several times and is especially hard to resolve with an elderly boar, who might not appreciate the company of a younger one. When my Rolo lost his brother Raffles at a similar age to your Dude, he went off his food and I started to syringe feed him to keep him going. They had been together for their whole life and slept snuggled up together so that they looked like one huge piggy. I moved his cage right next to a pen of sows and he cheered up, started to eat and sat next to the adjoining wire watching them run around and would have long chats with them. Nothing can compensate for the loss of one's best friend but perhaps you might feel able to adopt another pair to live next door to Dude and keep him company. No amount of love and cuddles can replace a piggy companion but this way, he could be part of a little herd.

With our most sincere condolences on the loss of dear Ratso, now reunited with Skittles.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.