[Gpdd] Misc: Chirping

Ruth Leibowitz dr.leibq at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 13:27:12 EST 2007

Dear Penny and other list members:

This chirping sound is really quite incredible!  Last night, for the first time ever (I have had her for about 2 and a half years) I heard my dear fluffy Nani Alice chirping!  Her companion Babu Franklin did not seem to have a reaction to it, but hung out at her side as usual, appearing rather calm.  The chirping was a series of very quick staccato sounds and went on for a couple of minutes from inside the guinea pigs' cave (my piggies have a shelf covered with a "curtain" made of dish towels where they can relax in privacy). When I lifted up the dish towel to look at her, she stopped momentarily.  But then when I went away she began to chrip again.  I found it an amazing sound.  A friend who was visiting at the time did a web search and found a recording of a guinea pig chirping that sounded very much like Nani's performance.   I hope it wasn't a one-time thing, since I really enjoyed listening.  But it is such a mystery -- why did she chirp at that particular moment, and never before (at least for my ears) in the more than two years before? What does it mean?  It seems that no one really knows why piggies do it.  I enjoy the mystery of it.

Ruth in Portland