[Gpdd] CARE Young boars fighting

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Nov 16 18:07:47 EST 2007

Welcome Andrew!

Sorry to read that your first experience with piggies has turned out to be a bit of a disaster! Although it IS possible to keep a trio of boars, it requires a great deal of experience ( and luck ) to make this work.

At my piggy sanctuary, I always keep my boars in pairs. I have never tried a trio, although if I ever had three litter brothers, I might be tempted to give it a go but be ready to separate them if necessary. Here is a link to an informative ( if not too well written ) website with all you could ever wish to know about keeping boars. http://www.susieandpigs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/home.htm There is a new section about keeping trios, although the author of the site agrees that pairs are best.

I don't know what sort of accommodation you have for your boys. Is it large enough to divide it securely down the middle with your bonded pair in one half and your Cocoa in the other? My herd lives in an assortment of large pens but if the three do not get on, no matter how large the pen/cage they are unlikely to cohabit peacefully.

I would buy another cage/pen for Cocoa, leaving the other two in their original home. At a later stage you might wish to introduce another boar as a friend for Cocoa but for now, let him have his own living space in peace. No doubt you and your children will adequately make up in cuddle time for a lack of piggy companionship.

I doubt that the original size of their accommodation has made any difference to your current predicament. It is not natural for three entire boars to live together and although a pair of boars can be the most devoted friends, there is always a likelihood of bullying with a third piggy.

In answer to your other questions, please do not let them fight it out - somepig could get badly hurt, if not worse and, secondly, they will not grow out of this. Restore peace and harmony by building or purchasing another cage so that you can all enjoy your piggies instead of worrying about them.

Do let us know how you all get on and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck,

Penny and the Piggyfriends ( piggy sanctuary in th UK ).