[Gpdd] (HEALTH) Girl Piggies in Heat

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 17 08:55:13 EST 2007

Not to sound like a know-it-all, but sows DO have a heat cycle, although it differs from dogs and cats (I did a project on guinea pigs for one of my Vet Tech classes). They go into "estrous" or heat every 16 days or so, and it is during that time that they are obligate ovulators-meaning they ovulate after the male stimulates them, as was mentioned before. Dogs and cats only ovulate during a certain period in their heat cycle.

  I have noticed a change in personality in some of my sows during their heat cycle; they get moody and a little more aggressive and sometimes just absolutely don't want you to mess with them, other than the obligatory feedings. They usually get over it in a day or two. This behavior does become more pronounced in sows that have active ovarian cysts, and they will act almost like males: chasing their cagemates, mounting, other dominance behaviors like stealing food from others, etc. But this behavior typically does not go away until/unless the cysts are treated.

  Leah, is your Princess Snowflake spayed? If so, then she obviously would not have a heat cycle and her "Attitude" would have to come from something else (just being a Diva, maybe?). If she is intact, then she was likely in heat. I never noticed them to act this way during my cycle, but, as with humans, pheromones can cause groups of sows to have their estrous cycles synched, and they all become evil little witches at the same time :>)

  Hope this helps,
  Stacy (who has a slight break from schoolwork overload) and the Squee Squad