[Gpdd] [HEALTH]<Sows who drink a lot>

Joanne Colangelo dogcatpiggymom at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 14:02:36 EST 2007

Thank you so much for this information, Janneke!  I am going to check out my Spicy.  She seems really happy and lovable, but now that you've given me some symptoms to look at, I will.
Thanks again!!!
Joanne
Spicy, Merri, Macie, Teddy, and Baci

Janneke Staaks <jannekestaaks at hotmail.com> wrote:    .hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma }  Hi Joanne,

 Yes, drinking a lot is a symptom of ovarian cysts. But before I get ahead of  myself I want you to know the following.

 Pigs differ in how much they drink, some of them always drink a lot (or play with the waterbottle ;-) ). It does not have to mean that there is anything wrong with them. If they are otherwise happy and healthy, it is likely that there is nothing wrong with them.

 I guess the thing to look out for is a sudden change in drinking behavior. Also, cysts are usally accompanied with more symptoms,like being too dominant (rumblestrutting, mounting too much), swollen nipples and hair loss and symmetric bald patches on their back. And ofcourse the cysts themselves. You (or your vet) can not always feel them, but if you can; it's definiately cysts.

 Drinking too much can also be caused by a uterus infection. This is sometimes accompanied by pus coming out of the vagina (can be either white or red). Since it is an infection, most sows feel bad.

 It can also be diabetes. You need a vet to diagnose it. You can use strips to put in the urine, but a blood test is more reliable. The people that I know who have pigs with diabetes tell me that injecting with insulin usually does not work (although guinealynx says something different http://members.shaw.ca/patriciasimon/diabetes.htm ). A change in diet may be neccesary (cut back on carrots, fruit etc.)

 There can be other reasons why a pig drinks more, but these are the ones that i can think of right now. If you are worried, go to a vet (who knows about guinea pigs) it's better to go to often than too little (I think I suffer from the overly concerned piggymomdisease ;-) even though my hunches are usually right)

 Janneke

Publiceer JOUW leven online met Windows Live Spaces: weblog, foto, video en muziek! Het is gratis! Het is gratis!

OPT to ADOPT a homeless animal!