[Gpdd] MISC- boars behaving badly

Jaime rzm.2 at juno.com
Sun Nov 18 17:36:17 EST 2007

Andrew-
  In my opinion, if there are 2 boars that get along & 1 that's being left out, that will never change. We recently fostered a mom (who we kept) & her babies. There were 4 babies & the 1 was very shy & timid. Well as soon as they started getting past the 2 week mark they picked on him all the time. It never got better & by the third week they all had to be separated. My suggestion would be to separate them all & keep them each in an individual cage, but put the cages next to each other so they can continue to be able to socialize. I know that's alot of work, but each cage could be one child's responsibility. Another possibility is to build a C&C cage with partitions to keep them separated but so they can still socialize. I know there's a link to C&C cages, but I don't know it. Maybe someone else can give it to you. Don't let them just "fight it out". That won't work & will traumatize the weaker pig & cause injuries. Have you had them checked for ringworm? You mention scabs, but didn't say if they were from fighting or were existent when you got the piggies. Our 2nd piggie Molly, had scabs & wounds when we got her (she was a rescue from a abusive household) & the scabs turned out to be ringworm. Easily treatable, but able to be passed to humans, so you may want to have a vet make sure your not dealing with that.  I hope it works out & commend you on teaching your kids to do the research *before* buying the pet. Sounds like you're doing a good job.

~Jaime & Mimi~
~Molly, Radar & Albert always in our hearts~
http://piggiepages001.blogspot.com/