[Gpdd] HEALTH Abscess

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Nov 24 19:04:28 EST 2007

Hello Joanne,

One of my piggies, Frodo, has just recovered from an abscess which formed under his chin. This came up suddenly, without any prior injury and, as it was so large, I took him to see my rodentologist, who lanced it and cleared out an enormous amount of pus. He flushed out the cavity and, as I was about to go on holiday, he kept him in. During the time that I was away, he repeated this procedure several times, keeping the exit hole open to allow more pus to drain away. He gave Frodo a course of antibiotics, just in case, and I have given him a course of probiotics since I fetched him home.

During all this, Frodo never stopped eating or lost any weight and carried on as though nothing was wrong. I am watching him carefully in case it flares up again but so far, so good.

I have only had one other piggy with an abscess and that was Jasmine, many years ago. Her's was small, like your piggy's marble sized one and burst open of its own accord. I cleaned it out and bathed it the cavity with a warm saline solution, again keeping the hole open. I believe that she was given antibiotics but it was a very long time ago and I am not sure. If she had, I would have followed it up with probiotics.

I would certainly not want one of my 7 year olds to have an anaesthetic unless in a dire emergency. My rodentologist can carry out dental work without the need of an anaesthetic and uses little wire separators to hold the mouth open whilst he does any necessary trimming. The procedure is over in moments and is quickly forgotten when he gives the piggy a slice of veggie.

Although I am a great fan of herbal remedies, I do not know of anything that would help with an abscess.

Hopefully your vet will do as you expect, lance the abscess, clean it out and give you the necessary remedy to carry on cleaning it out yourself.

Best of luck with Queensie on Tuesday.

Keep us posted,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.