[Gpdd] MISC- Mimi & her babies

Jaime rzm.2 at juno.com
Fri Oct 5 20:50:58 EDT 2007

  Well, the time has come that it will soon be time to separate Mimi & her babies. They will be 3 weeks old on Tue. & so I'm thinking that we will separate them Mon. or Tue. I'm still waiting to hear from Lori so I can bring them in to confirm their sexes & have Mimi checked. I'm hoping I'm wrong & 1 of them is a girl that can stay with Mimi. I want to be sure I am aware of what I'm doing ahead of time. I want to do what is easiest for them. When I take the babies away (assuming there are no boys & Mimi will be alone) is it easier for Mimi if I completely scrub everything & change all the bedding & take away all the smells of her babies, or is it easier for her if I leave in a little of the bedding with their scents on it? Will the scents make her look for her babies & miss them even more? I was thinking that if I remove all traces of them & guinea pigs have kind of short term memories, so maybe if there is nothing there to remind her of them, she won't be upset as long. As for the boys, I was thinking of pairing them up 2 & 2 to live together for now. The last time I separated piggies from their Mom, they cried so much we had to put them back just so we could get some sleep! It was awful. Is it normal for them to be upset & how long do you think they'll stay upset? If Mimi has to be alone, I'm hoping another young piggie will come in to the Humane League that maybe she can live with. I know everyone keeps asking this, but I don't know yet if I want to keep Mimi or not. I just don't know. It's a selfish thing to say, but she's just not Molly. I don't feel that connection in my heart that I felt with Molly. I honestly have been driving myself crazy trying to decide what to do the closer the time comes to having to take them back. The thought of her having to live at the Humane League again or ending up with someone stupid bothers me too. She is a nice piggie. I just don't know what my heart is telling me. I know I can't keep every foster piggie that comes thru the door. I just don't know...
  Anyway, if anyone has advice on separating the piggies please let me know. Thanks.

~Jaime~
~Mimi & the mini "Mimi's" +
~Molly, Radar & Albert always in our hearts~
http://piggiepages001.blogspot.com/