[Gpdd] Fwd: HEALTH: Advice for Baby Truffles

texg at cavyinfo.com texg at cavyinfo.com
Sat Oct 6 01:09:30 EDT 2007

The message below was forwarded, as the message was unable to get
through to the GPDD.

PLEASE ADDRESS ALL OFF-DIGEST RESPONSES TO: mtanaka at hawaii.edu

----- Forwarded message from mtanaka at hawaii.edu -----
     Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:06:52 -1000
     From: Michael Tanaka <mtanaka at hawaii.edu>

Hello everyone.  About two years ago we rescued a pregnant sow, whom
we named Blossom, from the pet store.  Three days later she gave birth
to Baby Truffles and a stillborn we named Star.  In three weeks, Baby
Truffles will be two years old.

Michael and I were out for the evening, for about five hours.  When we
returned home, Snoopy, a male, wasn't in his pen.  It's difficult to
describe but there are piles of pillows and shelves and such and he
somehow managed to get out of his pen and well, anyway, I found him IN
Blossom and Baby Truffles' pen!  I quickly grabbed him and of course,
yelled at him.  We examined him and the two girls.  Blossom was
'clean', we couldn't find any plugs on her.  But Baby Truffles had a
plug about one inch above her, uh, 'hole.'  We're freaking out and
worried that Snoopy impregnated her.  Baby Truffles was in heat two
days ago.  Since we didn't see what happened, we don't know if the
girls welcomed him or if they tried to get away from him.  When I saw
them he was on one side of the pen and the two girls were on the other
side of the pen.  Once I removed Snoopy, Baby Truffles went to her
bowl, like she was starving to eat!  I'm devastated and feel horrible
that I should have been here.  My understanding is that since Baby
Truffles never had babies, that her pubic bones have fused and that if
she did get pregnant, that she will die.  Is this true?  Is there ANY
way to 'flush' out her system or something?  ANY advice/thoughts would
be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Corrine and Michael