[Gpdd] Misc. Re: Toxic plants

adcavy at aol.com adcavy at aol.com
Sun Oct 7 04:22:39 EDT 2007

Hi Slaves,

Birdie,  Just like you, everywhere I have looked it says tomato leaves
and stems are considered too poisonous to eat.

Corinne, I'm afraid there is no way to flush out the reproductive
system. If there was a plug I'm afraid the boar was successful. The
plug is there so no other boar could come along and do the same later.
They usually melt with body heat or fall out so are not always a
reliable way to tell if mating has taken place. Most of the time sows
only accept boars when they are in season. Though other slaves may be
able to tell you more on that one.

Some boars who have never been used for breeding can over time become
sterile. However, this is not always so. Some people say the older a
boar gets the less likely it is that he can father a litter. We have
taken in pregnant sows from people who to save space have put very old
boars in with their girls because they have been told he is no longer
capable of being fertile due to age. And lo and behold sows got
pregnant.

With some sows the older and heavier they get the more fat surrounds
the ovaries and the more difficult it is for them to become pregnant.
But just like the boars it is not always the case.

Don't panic. If you can find a good vet or if you live in the UK
contact the C.C.T. for advice. Your sow may need a c- section. But
above all don't panic. We have had older first time mothers give birth
without help.  We have also had a couple who were helped along by
hormonal injections when it was time and a couple of c-sections too.
All pigs survived as did their babies.

These sows were assessed and monitored by our vet throughout pregnancy.

There is still a chance that she may not be pregnant. Only time will
tell. Just keep doing what you are doing. A good vet is worth his
weight in gold. He should be able to tell you what to watch out for
when she goes into labour and what distress signs to look out for too.
As you know the date of mating, it is easy to work out an expected
birth date. He may suggest a section just before the due date or
keeping an eye on her.

Some other slaves may have been through this and may have other advice
for you.

Best Wishes,

Antoinette and the Magic 60.