[Gpdd] CARE Feeding question

Suzy Dunser suzy at dunser.com
Mon Oct 8 20:09:41 EDT 2007

Hi Lynn,

I'm really glad you asked that question, because I've wondered that,
too. When I read things on websites, I think I give my piggies way
too many veggies, but, well... Anyway, here's what my two get (they
share this): In the morning, I refill the pellet bowl, give them new
water and a new handful of hay, and their main food for the day,
which consists of most of the following (depending on what I have) -
5 or 6 1" chunks of celery plus leaves; half a carrot in two chunks,
1/4 apple in two slices, 2 small broccoli florets plus leaves, half a
tomato in two chunks, a ring of red bell pepper in 1" pieces, and
sometimes a radish with leaves, green beans (5 or so), or cucumber
slices. With that they also get either foraged leaves (sow thistle,
groundsel, chickweed, dandelions, plantain) and grass, if I go out to
get it, or mesclun mix, if I'm feeling lazy. (-: By the afternoon all
of this will be gone. In the afternoon they get a big handful of
fresh grass and sometimes other foraged stuff, and sometimes (but not
usually) they get a little treat (more leaves, cucumber or apple) at
night. Besides the hay I toss in (which they burrow through and walk
on as well as eat), they have a small rack with hay in it, so I know
they always have some clean stuff.

Twice a week I also put two halves of a chewable Vitamin C tablet
(100g) in their cage; I never see them eat it because it's not their
favourite thing, but it does disappear by the next day, so at least
one of them is getting some C! One reason I give them so many veggies
is that the pellets available here (in NZ) don't have Vitamin C
added, and I'm not sure both of them are eating the chewable C, so
I'm trying to make sure they get a reasonable amount from their food.
They've been here 6 months now, and both seem equally healthy, so I'm
hoping they are getting enough. As for getting enough food, well, it
seems lately that everyone who comes in comments on how huge they
are... I should really weigh Cocoa again to see if he's hit LAPS
status yet!!

So here's another question: How do you know if your piggie is too
fat? I'm somewhat disadvantaged from my human perspective - I can't
imagine any animal getting fat from vegetables (and 1/8 apple a day),
but then, I'm not a herbivore...

Cheers,
Suzy with Rocky and Cocoa