[Gpdd] CARE: pig toys

Joanne Colangelo dogcatpiggymom at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 21:51:10 EDT 2007

Thanks, Carole!  I'm glad you told me about the artificial coloring on wooden toys as I didn't think of that and there are so many of them at the pet stores!

Joanne
Spicy, Merri, Macie, Teddy, Baci

Cazza177 <cazza177 at ntlworld.com> wrote: Dear Joanne

RE: Piggy tpys

I let my piggies out for floor time each day they can't get in the garden,
and give them lots of cardboard boxes with 'doors' cut into them and I also
make tunnels from the cardboard.  They love exploring in these and running
through them.  They also usually end up planning a 'route/race track'
through them all and chase each other.

I have read from another Digester that piggy toys and things like wood for
them to nibble on are full of unnatural artifical colourings.  She said she
soaked some of these in water and was horrified by the amount of dye that
came out of them -- dye that would otherwise have gone into her piggies
stomachs.  Some might even be toxic for all I know.  If she is reading this
(sorry I can't recall the lady's name), perhaps she will email GPDD again
and let you know about this.

Vedra at the Cambridge Cavy Trust told me not to give any piggy foods with
artifical colours in it, let alone toys, so I am really careful with this
type of thing, as she says such colourings can really do damage to their
digestion and stomach.

I would imagine there are toys and pieces of wood to nibble on out there
that use no colourings, but I don't know of any.  Cardboard boxes are
excellent fun for them though -- try a few and sit back and enjoy the show!

Kind regards

Carole

OPT to ADOPT a homeless animal!