[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENTS: Welcome Mimi!

family.duffy at virgin.net family.duffy at virgin.net
Sun Oct 21 05:37:46 EDT 2007

Jaime, I was SO happy to read that you are going to keep Mimi. I don't know if I missed a digest, but when did you decide? At the last minute before you returned her to the rescue? I'm sure she will be a treasure, just like Albert and Molly, but in her own way. It is a pity that all her babies were boys. I know how disappointed you must be. When I adopted two of Peter Gurneys guineas, one of them turned out to be pregnant and five adorable babies arrived by complete surprise. Four of them were little Abbysinians in various shades of brown and black, and one was completely different - a smooth coated tricolour. This smooth coated one had a problem - he appeared to have no eyes. We called him Specsaver, after a chain of opticians in the UK. Guineas are usually born with their eyes open and looking just like mini-adults, but Specsaver just had what looked like dried up husks where the eyes should have been. This, of course, made him all the more special and I was desperate for him to be a girl. After about a week, I saw Specsaver dart across the hutch, and as he ran I saw a glint of light! I went to have a closer look and his eyes were open! Both of them! I loved him so much, but sadly he was a boy, and two of the others as well, and it broke my heart to return them to the rescue. At least I got to keep two babies, but I often think of the ones I had to part with. Isn't it a shame that you can't keep a herd of boys like you can with girls. Anyway, I'm so happy that Mimi will be staying with you in her forever home.Stefanie and The Surrey Squeakers.