[Gpdd] Adding a third boar to a pair

milton.the_bold at virgin.net milton.the_bold at virgin.net
Sun Oct 21 14:42:29 EDT 2007

I have found, sadly, that it rarely works, but I have had some success stories:1.  I had a mature and very docile pig called Satsuma, and when two of his friends died in rapid succession in 2003 I introduced Wigwam and Big Rumble, who were a pair and very shy.  It worked because Satsuma was used to having hutchmates and the younger pigs were docile and submissive.2.  When Captain Noodle's brother Condo died in 2004 I introduced him to Wigwam and Big Rumble, although for the first year (yes, a year!) it had to be under close supervision, ie I was sitting on the floor with them armed with towel etc in case of fights.  Even earlier this year Wigwam and Noodle would have occasional fights.What I normally do, if I have an established pair, is keep them that way, as if they are not from the same litter, introducing a third can distort the power balance completely and end up with them all fighting.  I have had far more success with slowly bonding two single pigs, usually two older ones - I have rarely had any success with introducing a younger to an older boar.It really depends on the personalities of the pigs involved, so you have to use your own judgement.  I have sometimes "tested" an introduction by putting two pigs on the floor together, separated by a wire netting wall (eg one pig in the top half of a wire hutch, or in an outdoor run).  If there is a lot of teeth-chattering, bottom-wiggling and scenting going on, they are probably not going to get on.  This doesn't stop you housing them in hutches next to each other where they can talk to each other all day long, but have their own territory.PS George and Noodle are getting on better and better, although I wouldn't leave them alone together.Milton and the Lads