[Gpdd] HEALTH- Mimi update

Jaime rzm.2 at juno.com
Mon Oct 22 20:56:01 EDT 2007

  Just want to give everyone a quick update on Mimi. Sorry I haven't been responding to everyone individually, but I'm just really busy & now with this I'm even busier. She went to the vet this afternoon. Not the usual vet we see (Dr. Hall), but his partner. She seemed pretty nice, not as confident as Dr. Hall, but she is much younger. She thinks she either has a slight stomach bug or is suffering some post- pregnancy stress. Also that she may have a slight respiratory thing going on. I tried to tell the vet at the H.L. that, but they said she was fine.=(  Anyway, she gave me Trimethoprim to give her for 14 days to help her belly if there is a bug & also help if there is a respiratory thing going on. She also gave her some Reglan to help get things moving again & help with nausea. She felt her belly & Mimi had no pain or gas that the vet could feel. I bought her some Orchard Grass since they say it's supposed to stimulate the appetite. I gave her the doses of meds when I got her home this afternoon & she started gradually eating some throughout the afternoon. I was just out watching her the past 1/2 hour & she was eating quite a bit of hay & drinking & munching on an occasional pellet. The vet didn't think she seemed dehydrated even though she hasn't been drinking much, so she didn't get any fluids. The only thing she said that I don't agree with is that if in a couple days she still isn't eating & drinking well that we should bring her back in & she wants to put her under anesthesia & wash out her mouth & look at her back teeth. I will not do that unless Dr. Hall deems it's necessary. I will not have her put under unless we have explored all other options. The vet says she is between 4-6 months old, so we are going with 5 months! I will not lose my piggie to anesthesia at 5 months old! I just don't like that idea. Maybe I'm wrong, & if I am then tell me, but I don't want that done to her unless it's an absolute necessity. I talked to her about a product Oxbow sells called Nature's Treat. They claim it may stimulate appetite in small animals. I want to try it on her & see if it helps her. They are going to order some in for me, but it will take a few days. Has anyone ever tried it? If you have let me know how it works. Also she weighed the same at the vets as at home, 1lb.12oz. The vet seemed to think that was a pretty normal weight for a piggie her age. I still think she's skinny, but she didn't seem to concerned. Ok, I think that's it! Thanks to everyone for your concern & advice. Please keep Mimi in your thoughts & prayers. Thanks.

~Jaime~
~Mimi & the (now adoptable!)mini "Mimi's" +
~Molly, Radar & Albert always in our hearts~
http://piggiepages001.blogspot.com/