[Gpdd] [Health] Bess's story: heart condition

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Thu Oct 25 13:06:04 EDT 2007

I have been meaning to post for some time about my brave Bess, and
Evelyn's email about Phoebe makes this the right time, I think.

Bess needed a dental, but a couple of days later I took her back in to the
vet as she didn't seem her normal self.  The vet couldn't find anything
wrong, so I was advised to monitor her condition.  The, a couple of days
later on 23rd March, I came as I was expecting a delivery of piggy hay
and bedding.

I was home about 6pm, the delivery came, and when I checked my piggies I
could see Bess seemed to be having  trouble breathing, so I took her to
the Vet as an emergency. We got there at 6:40pm and they shut at 7pm.
Neil was on duty, he X-rayed Bess and found that her chest cavity (not her
lungs) was filling with fluid [pleural effusion]; he drained off the fluid
and gave her frusemide (a diuretic), sending me home with some more to
give her orally twice a day.  Neil and two of the nurses stayed until 8pm
to save my Bess's life!  I took Bess in the next day, and for several
more days.  Bess was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy, which meant
her heart was having to work harder and couldn't drain the fluid
naturally.

The vets said that she might only have a few days left... Although the
frusemide did seem to be helping, she wasn't her usual self, so I asked if
I could raise the frusemide to three times a day instead of twice a day -
and it worked!

Now, SEVEN MONTHS after the pleural effusion she is still doing fine!

Last week I was concerned as she needed to have another dental, the first
time since the once in March, which I knew would be risky.  Neil took an
X-ray to check her chest, which was clear, and she came through well.
Bess has 0.4ml of frusemide 3 times a day, and one drop of metacam each
day.

It was Bess's fifth birthday on 4th October (naughty slave for not
mentioning this before) and Neil the vet said he hoped she would see her
next birthday.  It was the fifth anniversary of our very first cuddle on
7th October!

So, it is possible for a piggy with a heart condition to have a happy and
comfortable life, with lots of love and care.  Bess has a good appetite
and put on some weight after the episode in March, and is looking her
usual self.  Best wishes to Phoebe and Evelyn, I hope Bess's story
encourages Phoebe.

Kay

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo