[Gpdd] [health] Ginger's feet

Kay Dudman kdud at waitrose.com
Mon Oct 29 16:55:15 EDT 2007

Dear Carole

Sorry to hear that Ginger still has trouble with her swollen foot.  I wonder
whether you have tried bubble wrap under her bedding?  When I have piggies
with foot trouble, I put bubble wrap (bubble-side down) on the floor of
their accommodation, tissues or kitchen paper to absorb the pee on top, then
paper, then hay and bedding.  For the piggies, it is like walking on air.
You could also try bathing her foot in warm water, just to soothe it, maybe
put a little vaseline on afterwards when her foot is dry just to keep the
skin soft so it is less likely to crack and bleed.  Ginger might be eating
less if her foot is giving her pain; is she on any painkillers?  One drop of
metacam a day might help.  True bumble foot is a disease of birds, but the
term is often used for piggies with pododermatitis (i.e. inflammed skin on
the foot).

I hope Ginger gets well soon,

Kay