[Gpdd] Health Re: Ginger's foot

AnnaMarie Lohr alohrpgh at msn.com
Mon Oct 29 20:48:19 EDT 2007

Hi Carole -
I don't know how I missed reading about your Ginger's problem earlier.
Maybe this will help.  Our beloved Ginger Cuddle Pig, who lived to the ripe
old age of 10 years, suffered from Bumblefoot during his last year or so of
life.  The treatment that helped the most was soaking his foot in warm Epsom
salts water twice a day.  I would take a custard cup, put a tablespoon of
Epsom salts in the bottom and then add enough warm water (not hot, but
comfortably warm) to dissolve the salts and cover the foot and part of the
leg.  Then I would sit down with a towel on my lap, hold Ginger for a
cuddle, and place the affected paw into the bowl of water.  He struggled a
bit the first time until he realized how good the water felt, and then he
never fought again.  We would sit together on the couch and watch TV until
the water cooled off, and then I would take the bowl away and gently pat his
foot dry.  Two or three times a day in the beginning would be best until you
notice some improvement, and then you can reduce the number of treatments
until the foot is healed.
If he's not eating because of being miserable, you might try giving him
something to nibble on while the foot is soaking.   I hope this helps.
We'll keep your Ginger in out prayers.
AnnaMarie