[Gpdd] [misc] skinny pigs

Kay Dudman kdud at waitrose.com
Wed Oct 31 16:21:51 EDT 2007

I'm with you, I don't think piggies should be specially bred to be without
hair.  My understanding is that there are two types: skinny pigs, who have a
little hair on their hands and feet, and baldwins, who have none at all.
I have a horrible feeling that they were bred like this for lab purposes; I
know Peter Gurney was very much against this.  Of course all piggies need
love, but if there is a fashion for them, then I too am concerned that they
will have the love and special care that they need.  There was an ad for a
couple of guinea pigs (not for skinny pigs) where a man said "the kids had
lost interest" and his wife had an allergy to the straw.  HAY, man, they
should be on HAY!  I just don't get this "lost interest" part, I can't make
any sense of it...how could anyone lose interest in a lovely piggy?  It's
certainly sending the wrong message to the children, not giving them a sense
of responsibility, and skinny pigs will need even more care and attention.

Kay