[Gpdd] [Misc]<Skinny pigs>

Janneke Staaks jannekestaaks at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 31 17:36:43 EDT 2007

Hi M and the other gpdders,
I cannot believe that they actually said that they are this years must have pet..*mumblemumblemumble*.
I first want to clarify something. There are two kinds of bald pigs. The first ones are Baldwins, they are born with hair and after 5 weeks it falls out. Then they are completely bald. This breed has many health problems. I am definitely opposed to this.
The second kind are the skinny pigs. They are born bald and have a bit of hair on their head. This is more shaky territory. Besides having no fur, they appear to be relatively normal. And this is where the discussion becomes more subjective. With proper care, these pigs can have a normal life. In my eyes, having no fur is a problem. They catch cold more easily and burn more easily in the summer. They scratch and hurt themselves more easily. (Btw, i'm not discussing esthetics, i find it ugly, but some people think rex piggies look like exploded pickles, taste is personal) I fully agree that with the proper care these animals can have a nice life, but in the wrong hands.. but then again...any pig is not so lucky if it falls in the wrong hands..

For what its worth, I have a hard time with breeding in general. I know there are some very nice, kind and loving breeders out there and they have a lot of knowledge and experience. For those of you who belong to this group, this is not about you and i really hope you wont be offended. My dislike of a certain class of breeders comes from my yaya and her satin disease. I know satins look really beautiful to some people (again.. taste..) but these breeders keep breeding satins although they know that an unknown percentage gets that awfull disease. The percentage appears to be high, but in my view it does not really matter. Even if it were small, you are knowingly breeding an animal that has a chance of living a very painfull life. It makes me angry and feel like that all these people are doing is creating a special stamp collection. The collecting appears to be more important than the animals welfare. (again, i am talking about a certain class of breeders and this is not a critism on the more conscientious breeders among you).

Okay, these were my two cents!
Grtz
Janneke