[Gpdd] [Health] More health problems for Phoebe

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Tue Sep 4 21:33:30 EDT 2007

Phoebe has had some noisy breath last week. It got worse when I came
home from work on Saturday (of course on the long weekend after the
vet was closed). I put on the hepafilter and she didn't seem to be
hindered by it. Although slightly quiet she was still eating and
drinking. The next day found a lump on her chin. I'm pretty sure it
was new. Thinking it might be an abscess, I immediately stuck her on
antibiotics. I think this may have been Sunday. Today, I booked an
appointment with the vet as soon as the opened and took her tonight.

She was so laid back during the car ride and waiting for her
appointment. Just ate everything I put in her box.

Her breathing was better today and at the vet. Her lump is an abscess
that has something to do with her teeth. Antibiotics might not help.
Because of her age and kidney problems, surgery is not an option.
(I'm glad about that one. That is a decision I didn't not want to
make.) She drained the abscess partially. She didn't want Phoebe to
become too upset.) We'll watch it and keep her on the antibiotics and
next time she'll drain it again and perhaps inject antibiotic into
the chambre.

The vet noticed discharge from one nostril. I thought Phoebe might be
having allergies but it could also be infection. So we're continuing
on the antibiotic and Critical Care supplement as her weight is down
to under 800g. The heavy breathing could also be her heart.

I've been reading on Peter Gurney's site that kidneys and heart are
related. And a problem with kidneys can cause heart trouble.

Her breathing sounded worse when we came home but it didn't stop
Phoebe from eating her Critical Care ball, grass, parsley and some
dandilion.

Now I just have to adjust the timing of her antibiotic so it isn't
noon and midnight.

Her eye is also watery the one that is swollen so she's back on her
cortesoid drops.

My poor little girl who is stubborn. And bit the vet. She's a
fighter. And that's always a good sign.

I think today was Phoebe's seventh adoption day anniversary. I got
her from this clinic and she's quite well known there.

Evelyn