[Gpdd] CARE: Edible trees

family.duffy at virgin.net family.duffy at virgin.net
Wed Sep 5 06:25:32 EDT 2007

Whilst on holiday in Ireland this summer, we visited Dublin Zoo. Instead of first admiring the tigers etc, we headed straight for the Pets Corner, in the hope of seeing some guinea pigs! There were some lovely ones  there (as they all are, of course) but they were an exceptionally beautiful dark red colour. They looked very happy in their enclosure and they were tearing into the branch of a tree with great enthusiasm. I thought this was a wonderful idea - enjoying the leaves and using their teeth gnawing the bark. I looked up edible trees when I got back home and it seems most deciduous ones will do but I'm cautious because there are a few exceptions. It's bad enough being seen in public places cutting grass for the guineas but if I start sawing branches off trees I'll probably be arrested!! I looked round the wooded area at the bottom of our garden, but somehow I didn't feel happy about the deciduous trees there. They didn't LOOK very edible! The only one that seemed promising was the crab apple tree. Does anyone out there know if this would be OK? It's got fruit on it too, would they be too acidic? I would appreciate advice from anyone who feeds trees to their guineas!Stefanie and The Surrey Squeakers