[Gpdd] HEALTH Boar care

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Sep 6 06:09:35 EDT 2007

Hi Joanne and other boar slaves with questions.

This topic has generated a LOT of interest!! If anyone is waiting for an email, I'm getting there but I do have to work to support these piggies in the way to which they have become accustomed.

I wouldn't be worried about 5 month old boars getting impacted. At the risk of repeating myself ( I can't remember what I posted and what I emailed and I must rush off to work in a minute ) I have only encountered this problem in older, even elderly boars - 5 years and over - but I have read that it can happen in younger ones.

For all you new boar slaves there is a wonderful website dedicated to boars and their care. Here it is http://www.susieandpigs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/home.htm All sorts of topics are covered ( just ignore the spelling and syntax errors ). There are pigtures to help with impaction and they have a section called "Intimate Cleans" to show how to care for their genitalia.

GuineaLynx also has a section on this topic http://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html with graphic pigtures.

Bookmark these pages for future reference!!

Don't worry! Most boars will never become impacted but the cleanup procedure is a good idea to keep them comfortable and nice to know.

Joanne, my boars smell as sweet as my sows ( except when I am cleaning out the rear end ). It is not their fault! I think of it as a design fault.

Must go,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.