[Gpdd] [CARE] One Senior members hope fo rthe best piggy care

warmbreath imwarmbreath at netscape.com
Thu Sep 6 21:00:02 EDT 2007

I don't mean to be cranky or overbearing but its breaking my heart to tears when I read the digest these days to see that the majority of pigs dying seem to be 2 to 5 year olds, way too young. Reading these other posts broadens my (even still) way to improve  knowledge but here's a few tips and feel free to discuss endlessly or rip up. Obviously many of these deaths are not anyone's fault, an accident or bad genes or bad luck but maybe this will help. And I do believe we are the best piggy slaves around, I just want to increase their lives to the max and along with it our happiness with them, and of course many of us are new and this may help them

1. Inspect toys as above, try to find homemade ones or enlightened countries products only ( no anti war post pls, I'm there) but do give toys allot, piggies that sit alone all day aren't having a quality life, they deserve toys company and fun

2.Unless you are prepared to raise your pig with as much attention as a child would get, raise them in pairs and trios. they deserve to have someone to talk to always, they are herd animal.  No school pets please

3.. Get rid of all pine and cedar shavings, try towels, wood stove pellets without accelerants, or newspaper, carefresh  and hay, always hay. Always hay but inspect every bit, shake the dust out outside if you can and inspect for mold, back spots musty smell, never wash it! Make sure there is no milk weed in it

4. Spay and neuter both, human women are the only "animal" required by law or social convention to keep their baby making equipment after its needed, and its usually the first body part to go bad.

5. Pick your exotics vet and have a get to know you meeting before the need arrives. Find out his hours and who he recommends for an emergency vet and talk to them in advance of need. Find out if they give pain meds esp. after surgery and if they recommend it before. Teach your pig how to take pills and use syringes very early.

6. Well, most of us could write a book about feeding, these days the best advice is grow your own. And examine your attitude about treats, purely human concept, piggies don't need em. No sugar, fat, nuts esp. with,  no food with colored bits in it, small amounts of fruit.
And if the fresh food doesn't look good enough for you to eat don't give it to piggy (except there are some veggie parts they love that we are not accustomed to eating like fresh corn husks without the black spots  Go organic wherever you can, I would pick quality over quantity, and keep them trim.  Pellets; I think we have beat this one to death; if they have a hundred ingredients on back, no, if the have colored things in them or seeds,no. If there is no manufacture date no (except emergencies) and don't use any that are past the 6 month expiration date, Feed Vit C foods year round. Timmy for adults, alfalfa for youngens, mix of the two ok for svelte pigs. Use filtered water (for yourselves too) and if you use bottles make sure there are 2 per cage to prevent tragic accidents

7 Watch out for dangers, completely piggy proof their floor time area but also  make sure they get floor time every day

8 Wash them and their cages enough, and often, we all know what enough is, use vinegar and mild soaps with lots of slave power Refer to early post about cleaning manly boar parts to prevent impaction and promote good male hygiene

9. George the Guinea Pigs rule: Love that piggy every day as though it was his last, Thanks Joseph ; )

10. Sandy's rule from the Penny Giggles life and times; When you sit down to post (unless its an emergency) Check the pigz first, if there is one thing they need,  do it first before we play our very fun piggy games and post to the digest