[Gpdd] CARE: Trimming Claws One At A Time

Stephen Bradley chiefoperator1 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 9 11:14:11 EDT 2007

Just to put in my two cents on the subject of claw trimming...

We used to trim once in a while, as needed, and it was an unpleasant struggle.  Then at some point it occurred to us: we had started giving a little water by syringe pretty much every day so that the piggies would be used to it; why not to do the same thing with claws?  We have now made this part of our routine; each pig gets a trip to the lap every evening for general inspection and a little water, and then a little snuggling time and a small goody of some variety before going back to their refurbished home.  During this lap visit, we look over the claws and will typically pick out whichever one is longest and give it a tiny clip; since we do it often, we rarely have to take off very much.

It will probably never be the high point of a pigster's day, but they seem to tolerate it better than less frequent full-trimmings.

Healing wheeks to those with ill & hurting ones; sympathies to those whose pigsters have departed,

Steve & Ginger, slaves to Mr. Mike T. Pig,
remembering Niles and Clover and Butterscotch always.