[Gpdd] HEALTH Patches

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Sep 16 15:41:09 EDT 2007

My little Nova has one runny nostril. She is a tiny little piggy and at 4 years old is about the same size as a 5-6 month old. Although I hate the term, I have to describe her as a "special needs" piggy as some kind of birth trauma left her with a permanent head tilt. The runny nostril is the one that leans further over, the underneath one as it were.

Her health is obviously not the same as a "normal" piggy but last March she started to have a very runny nostril with snuffly breathing. She carried on eating with her usual enjoyment but the noise was very worrying. Her lungs were not congested. I first tried Bisolvon, Sudafed and Vicks ( which she loves ). I tried menthol crystals but, due to her head tilt, she is not fond of being picked up and this was not much of a success.

Only once since then has she had any congestion and this was last month, when she needed a triple injection of Lasix ( a diuretic ), Bisolvon and Dexadresson followed by a 10 day course of Septrin antibiotic. Her lungs are now, once more, clear as a bell, although the runny nostril and noisy breathing continue. Some days it is more noticeable than others.

My Rodentologists are mystified by this runny nostril ( the "top" one is always clear ) but recommended a few drops of Baytril in the nostril, which is then massaged by rubbing between her nostril and eye. This makes her sneeze and clears out the "snot". It never clears up completely but the situation is improved. The noisy breathing comes and goes and is worse when she is sleeping. She has quite a short, blunt nose, which may contribute to the condition but this only started in what is probably her fourth year. I was told that she was about a year old when she came to live with us.

On a particularly "runny" day I still give her the Vicks on her nose and also rub a little on both front paws so that she can inhale it when resting, as she always puts both paws out in front of her when she sleeps.

She never seems to be bothered by any of this but then she lives in her own little world and doesn't interact with the other piggies. Because of the brain damage, she walks in a circle but is a happy little soul and loves her food and her blue pigloo which came with her.

None of this is probably the slightest help with Patches but I just wanted to show that it is possible for a piggy to have this condition with no ill effects. If anyone has any other ideas about Nova, I would be delighted to read them.

I wish that I could blow her nose for her on a little piggy sized handkerchief.

I would continue to listen carefully to Patches breathing and be ready with the meds if you notice any congestion, wheezing or clicking. Otherwise you might like to try the Baytril drops and see if it helps him. For the best effect hold him so that his nostrils are pointing upwards in order for the Baytril to trickle down inside the nasal cavity. Nova has to be tightly towel wrapped as I believe that she gets disorientated when picked up. She always gets a treat afterwards.

Love to Patches.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.