[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Cherry Update (paralysed back leg)

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Thu Sep 20 09:50:01 EDT 2007

Many thanks to all who contacted me with suggestions for Cherry's single
paralysed back leg. I persevered with the crushed calcium tablets in melon juice
until my daughter was able to send me some liquid Osteocare from the UK, then
 gave her that as advised in Piggie Potions. She has been in a smaller than
usual  cage with Boulotte and Soulage, and seemed to be moving around better,
so today  I put her down on the floor of the porch. She sat motionless for a
while, so I  went to top up the dried food for the others, and when I got back,
she'd  disappeared! There she was, scurrying around the floor looking for hay
(I have  loads drying in there at present!), happily using both legs as though
there had  never been a problem! I had been expecting a result sooner, but I
am just glad  she now seems virtually on the mend.

I say virtually, because she is losing weight. I am tempted to post with a
subject heading "Dummy, I've Shrunk the Pigs!", only it really is no  laughing
matter. Just recently almost all my piggies have been losing weight.
Actually, it was whilst I was away and my partner Pete was caring for them that  the
weight loss began, and we did have a big row about it. I know the Dolly
Mixtures are getting on in years, but should they all be losing weight? Not  large
amounts, just 50g or so in most cases, although for someone like  Scarecrow,
who only weighs around 600g anyway, that seems significant. I haven't  changed
their diet - they are on Pets At Home Guinea Pig Nuggets with no added
colours, mixed with Gertie Guinea Pig Carrot and Cranberry, also no added  colours
(both imported from the UK), plus unlimited hay and the usual veggie  salads
twice daily. Actually, a recent voluntary helper here took umbridge  because he
said I was feeding the guinea pigs better than I was feeding him!!  They are
all eating well, running around as usual, showing no sign of illness  ... But of
course, this piggie slave is worried! Cherry has actually lost 100g  since
8th August. Is it because they are all over 4 years old? Scoot, the  youngster,
is still gaining steadily - he still lives up to his name and scoots  in the
opposite direction when I approach - hopefully I will spend more time  with him
once they move indoors for the winter next month.

Apologies if i have forgotten anyone with condolences recently - life has
been hectic, and promises toi become more so as I start a new job trial on
Monday. I think I may have missed Janneke and Kay out. If I did, I am truly
sorry, and please accept my condolences here and now - I have just been so  behind
with everything.

Is there somewhere I can send a photo to be considered for the calendar? I
would love the Dolly Mixtures to be represented on it - they have been
subscribed quite a while!

Better go - dogs to walk!

Debbie