[Gpdd] BEHAVIOUR Leaving the hutch in......

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Sep 20 04:33:16 EDT 2007

My Rodentologists, who rescue, re-home and board piggies as well as look after their health, do not recommend putting a hutch, pigloo, box etc. in with new piggies as they reckon that it is easier to tame them if they do not have anywhere to hide when you want to pick them up.

They have many piggies of their own, and follow their own advice when babes are left for rehoming. I have seen some of these babes grow and stay as their own and they are very tame and laid back piggies.

I think that they are right but I must admit that I do not do this myself as I feel that it must be a big world for a tiny piggy and I like to give them the option of having somewhere to escape, although babes introduced to one of my groups are just as likely to hide behind one of the big piggies. Of my two most recent arrivals, one likes to hide at the back of a box and her friend never goes in one. They both complain when I pick them up but I believe that they think their group will eat all of the food before I put them back.

I wouldn't worry about your girls' behaviour. Some piggies always complain when they are picked up, others love it - they are all different. Give them time and they will come round to your way of thinking. Do continue to pick them up, even if they don't like it, as the more that you can handle them, the tamer they will become.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.