[Gpdd] HEALTH: Spaying & ovarian cysts

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 00:28:56 EDT 2007

Hi Chris.  First of all how great you were able to rescue this poor baby.  How lucky she is. You don't say where you are but I'm assuming it's in the US.

  I would question your vet VERY carefully on the subject of a spay.  Spays are very dangerous procedures on a Guinea Pig.  With the very best vet and super care, the survival rate is only abount 80%.  A spay is considered a last resort.

  How did your vet come to the conclusion she needed a spay?  Was an ultrasound done?  X-rays and cultures don't show problems with the uterus.  Don't be swayed by price for this procedure either.  A good vet is not cheap.  If I were you I would ask about the hormone shots rather than spaying.

  I'm not saying it's so, but the hair loss she's showing can be caused by mites as well as hormones.  Mites live under the skin and skin scrapings rarely, if ever, show the presence of mites.  Despite what your vet said, I would still start a treatment plan for them.  It sounds as though your little girl was kept in some pretty horrible conditions and it would be surprising if she did not have parasites (which can be brought on by stress) as well as other possible problems.  The fact that she has never had hay before means she should have her back teeth looked at.  Hay is what helps keep their teeth growing the way they should.

  An x-ray can determine what the lump behind her leg is.  If your vets diagonsis is correct, it can be cut out.

  Great that her appetite is fine and she's eating.  A couple of great resources for learing how to care for health problems are www.guinealynx.com and www.cavyspirit.com.

  Here's hoping for a long and healthy future for you and your new furbaby.

  Joan, slave to The Lady Bug