[Gpdd] Health. Re: Mites.

adcavy at aol.com adcavy at aol.com
Sat Sep 22 04:09:21 EDT 2007

Hi Slaves,

I agree with Penny about this v shaped hair loss. If this is across the
back then it is a classic sign of parasites. Skinscrapings are not
reliable. Check and shampoo for lice anyway. I found that rescued pigs
that came in to us with this exact loss of hair in a v shape had mites
and lice. I would treat for mites and lice before agreeing to any
surgery.

The pattern of hair loss is completely different for ovarian cysts. The
thinning or baldness is usually along the sides or flanks. Don't get
panicked into making a decision. Cysts are not the same thing as
tumours so your vet wasn't saying she had ovarian cancer.

We shampoo our pigs every six-eight weeks. We also use Panacur wormer
and Noromectin ( Ivermectin solution ) every three months almost like a
vaccination. Ivermectin kills mites but sadly is not effective against
lice which is why I shampoo pigs too.

As guinea pigs get older they usually have lumps and bumps. Most turn
out to be benign. I have several pigs with these lipomas. i keep a
close eye on them for any changes  but they are really just fatty
lumps.

Being kept in dirty conditions, with little natural light as well as a
poor diet would also affect her skin and hair. Treat for parasites and
continue feeding her well and see if she improves.

She is so lucky you happened to be there at that time. it must have
been fate that you were.

With all best wishes,

Antoinette and the Magic 60.