[Gpdd] MISC Questions about Mimi

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Sep 22 15:03:39 EDT 2007

Hi Jaime,

1st. question. I have never had a piggy with allergies. Possibly there is a lot less to be allergic to in England as it rains so much. Hopefully someone else knows about Benedryl but personally, I wouldn't want to dose up a nursing mother as everything that she takes will be passed on to the little babes. Of course, she will need treatment if she does have a URI but if you can wait until the babes are weaned it would be better for them.

2nd. question. It can be hard to trim black nails, especially as you haven't a light nailed piggy with whom to compare her. I would trim a little bit off each nail at a time and gradually work my way back. Have a cotton wool ball soaking in some very cold water, just in case you cut too far, to staunch any bleeding. Even better is a styptic pencil ( are these available in the US? ). Try to picture trimming Molly's nails and make Mimi's look the same. The more frequently the nails are trimmed, the further back the quick recedes so you should be able to make Mimi look more presentable after a few trims and also prevent her catching her claws in her hay.

3rd. question. If you do have to seek expert help with anything, do take the whole family along. This will not only avoid any stress but, if you are kept waiting at the vets or in traffic, the babes can have a feed whilst in transit.

Love to Mimi and all the mini Mimis,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.