[Gpdd] (Health) Re: Mimi's Hair loss

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 09:03:15 EDT 2007

Chris,
  I would have to agree with Penny; the pattern of hair loss you described is not that of ovarian cysts. I have had two sows with cysts (both were over 5 years and not good candidates for surgery). The hair loss is bilaterally on the abdomen, and the abdomen becomes distended. The "v-shaped" hair loss can be due to mites, but there is another thing to consider that I have also experienced and that is "self- traumatizing", i.e. chewing the hair because of stress, boredom, or anxiety. My pig Pinkerton was constantly chewing that v-pattern and I took him to vet after vet. He was treated for mites, lice AND ringworm to no avail. I finally decided to put him in with my older boar, Oscar, and he has since stopped the chewing. I also bathe him occasionally in a colloidal oatmeal shampoo. It is possible that your Mimi was bored out there in that garage and stressed from the heat.

  I would rule out parasites first. Since she was out of the house for so long, it wouldn't hurt to treat her for parasites; I use Ivermectin topically (measure out the appropriate dose and put half behind each ear). I have also used Revolution in the past with good results, but you have to get that from your veterinarian. It only takes a drop or two between the shoulderblades.

  Hope this helps,
  Stacy and the Squee Squad