[Gpdd] Health- Spaying

Mary Kathryn DeLodder mkdelodder at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 10:03:34 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I am new to gpdd and a new piggie owner as well.  I have been reading
various posts for a week or two and learning as I go.  I have two girls that
have been with me for what is going on two weeks now.  I will send another
post with some more info and questions relating to them.

Before I adopted them from a gp rescue center, I inquired with the local
animal shelter because they had some piggies listed online as being
available.  When I called, however, they had all already been adopted, but
they had just gotten two new pigs in the night before.  I asked if they knew
the gender of the pigs, and they said no, but that they spayed/neutered them
all first anyhow.

Reading some of the previous posts regarding ovarian cysts and spaying, it
sounds as if piggie spaying is both costly and dangerous to the pig.  My
question is-- does it sound reasonable that the shelter would spay every pig
before it is adopted?  I know that they do it because they don't want people
ending up with unwanted babies, but maybe it is more harmful than helpful??

I don't suppose I will be changing the policy of the local shelter, but it
made me curious and I wanted to hear the opinions of some who are more
experienced that me!

Thanks,
Mary K